Quick & tasty dinner ideas are what I live for, and my vegan & gluten-free chickpea tikka masala is one of my favorites.
I am all for exploring different spices and flavors, and tikka masala is probably one of my favorite dishes to make. The flavor of my chickpea tikka masala is out of this world, even though it is vegan and gluten-free. If you have ever doubted vegan or gluten-free lifestyles for their lack of flavor, you need to try this recipe. Trust me, it’s GOOD.
My favorite part about this chickpea tikka masala recipe is that it is all homemade. We’re not going to the store for a pre-made sauce, we’re making it right in our own kitchens and our homes are about to smell delicious.
Does anyone else live for dinner smells? Okay. Maybe that sounds a bit odd. But I love it when I am out for an evening walk with the boys and smell someones warm dinner being made. It brings a whole new level of comfort and puts a smile on my face every time. I hope that when I put together some of my favorite vegan and gluten-free recipes, like the one I’m sharing here today, that someone walking by my home gets that same comfy feeling.
How to Make Vegan & Gluten-Free Chickpea Tikka Masala
If you’ve been around here for a bit, you probably know about my chickpea obsession. I incorporate chickpeas into so many of my favorite recipes because they are a great protein source & provide a great deal of vitamins and minerals.
Now for the chickpea tikka masala.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tsp ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tsp garam masala
- 1/4 Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp coriander
- 1 Tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cups tomato, chopped
- 1 Cup tomato sauce
- 2 Cups chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 3/4 Cup coconut milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic clove and cook for 1 more minute or until fragrant.
- Add the ginger, paprika, garam masala, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric and salt and pepper. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally for around 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and the coconut milk and stir to combine. Cook for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. .
- Serve with a lime wedge and chopped cilantro.