Gluten-free Moroccan chickpea bowls are one of those meals that make it feel like you’re eating at a nice restaurant and give a moment of bliss while you’re actually at home enjoying your own patio. These are the kinds of recipes I live for as a stay at home mom. I can be surrounded by laundry and chaos, but in a happy place thanks to the restaurant-quality meal.
Clearly, chickpeas are a favorite of mine as a gluten-free vegan. I’ve shared a LOT of my favorite chickpea centered meals and have many more on the way! I have some go-to chickpea recipes, but these gluten-free Morrocan chickpea bowls are one of my favorite “special” meals.
If you want to make them up everyday, girl, go AT it. There are no rules or judgement here. But for me personally, they’re a once in a while kind of meal.
Now, that is not to say they aren’t good. Because trust me. They are mouth-watering good. But as a mama of three young boys, they aren’t necessarily “kid-friendly” and I’m not up for that fight. My boys are usually really good with my gluten-free vegan meals, but I spread them out so I can mix in more of their favorite meals. We do what we gotta do, right?
I’ve shared before, but I figure I’ll share again since you might be new here or new to chickpeas. They are something I turn to often as a gluten-free vegan. They’re seriously so versatile and provide some great nutritional benefits.
According to healthline.com, “Chickpeas also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as a decent amount of fiber and protein.”
I use chickpeas in an assortment of meals like chickpea “tuna style” salad, chickpea protein bowl, and even edible chickpea cookie dough. A great assortment of my own recipe book recipes are meals including chickpeas and I could probably share with you one hundred ways to use them.
But we’ll focus on the singular recipe at hand; gluten-free Moroccan chickpea bowls!
How to Make Vegan & Gluten-Free Moroccan Chickpea Bowls
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 Cup onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tsp garam masala
- 1/4 Tsp turmeric
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 1 Cup rice, cooked
- 1/2 Cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 Cup mushrooms, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, cinnamon and salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute so the spices can bloom.
- Add the chickpeas and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Assembly the bowls. Start with a bed of rice and towpath the Moroccan chickpeas, cabbage and mushrooms.
- Serve with a tzatziki dressing on the side
Now tell me, how GOOD do these chickpea bowls sound? Delicious, right?