When I was first considering going vegan, I was overwhelmed and intimidated. All the recipes I saw looked so complicated and had ingredients I had never heard of. Plus, so many vegan recipes were gluten and soy heavy. After convincing Z to give it a go in November of last year, I have been shocked at how easy it’s been!
Here’s a really delicious quinoa and chickpea salad with an awesome cilantro dressing that we are currently loving. It’s quick and easy and you probably have most of these at home already! Bonus – this vegan and gluten free salad tastes amazing when you make it, but also keeps in the fridge for 3 days. Although I doubt it’ll last that long!
Chickpeas have become a huge staple in our vegan diet. They are packed with nutrients and high in protein, something I was nervous about when cutting out animal proteins. And their texture and taste have proven to be delicious in every type of meal we’ve used them in.
Quinoa and Chickpea Salad with Cilantro Dressing
A vegan, gluten free salad that takes less than 30 minutes to make and everyone will love.
Cooking time: 30 min
What you’ll need:
For the salad:
- 1 c dry quinoa (any variety)
- 1 c cooked chickpeas
- 1 c grated carrot (one large)
- 1 c minced red onion (1/4 large onion)
- ½ bunch kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing:
- ½ c fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Cook quinoa according to package directions.
To make dressing:
- Mince cilantro and oregano finely. Whisk with all remaining ingredients.
- Mince onion and grate carrot. Wash and dry kale. Remove large stems with a paring knife or by pulling along the stem from the base to the tip.
- Slice kale into thin ¼” strips cross-wise.
- Heat oil in a pan over med-low heat. Add chickpeas and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Combine cooked quinoa, chickpeas, and prepared vegetables. Toss with dressing.
Serve warm or will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Would be a great dish to make the night before!