A little while ago I asked on my Instagram stories for help with hair loss. I know postpartum hair loss is “normal”, but you guys. This cannot be normal. Like huge chunks are gone and it is so much worse than it was postpartum with H or J. A huge majority of you said you had heard monistat helped, but hadn’t tried it yourself. So, like the good little sometimes blogger I am, I volunteered as tribute.
Science-y stuff: The thought process is that Monistat is an anti-fungal – Micozasole is the active ingredient. Miconazole’s chemical structure is similar to another antifungal agent called ketoconazole which has been shown to block dihydrotestosterone, the hair-killing hormone responsible for female- and male-pattern hair loss. (source)
Disclaimer: I am obviously not a doctor, and don’t claim to be. I would spot test first to make sure you don’t have any adverse reactions! And the links I share are mostly affiliate links. As always, thank you for your support!
What you’ll need:
- 8oz Spray bottle (a squeeze bottle would work too)
- Monistat (7 day!)
- 2oz Castor Oil
- 2oz Coconut Oil (or Jojoba oil!)
- Prose hair oil (this one’s optional, I just had it made personalized for my hair needs and wanted to add this in. Save $10 with THIS link.)
- 5 drops Cypress essential oil
- 5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 5 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- Wide tooth comb
- Scalp Brush
- Carrier (necessity for me for all the things since J gets into everything and R is obsessed with being on the boob. But seriously, this is a great carrier for newborn to 25lbs. Like a combination of a k’tan, Solly and SSC.)
To make the Monistat hair regrowth treatment:
I combined a few different things I found online. Both the Monistat treatment, which many people just mixed with water, as well as the oils and essential oils that encourage hair growth and scalp health. Essential oils are optional! But if you have any / all of these laying around, throw them in! Or Plant Therapy is a great source of excellent, clean oils. I use mostly doTERRA, but I know that’s not everyone’s jam.
- Empty tube of Monistat 7 into the spray bottle, add carrier oils and essential oils and shake well to mix.
- Make sure your hair is combed and tangle free. Starting with your hair parted in the center, spray / squeeze mixture onto roots.
- Going in one inch sections, continue parting and applying the mixture to your roots, until your whole scalp is covered. I did have to do a few parts on the back of my head again to ensure full coverage. And don’t forget to apply the Monistat hair growth mixture to your hairline well!
- Apply, and comb through with wide tooth comb.
- Using your fingers or a scalp brush, massage the treatment into your hair. I did it for about 5 minutes, but 2-5 mins is fine.
- Leave it in for 30 minutes to a few hours (the first night I left it in for about 4 hours before I washed it out), or overnight (what I did the second time).
- Wash hair well, et voila!
Can we just appreciate these video stills for a moment?! HA. This is why I don’t do videos!
How often to do the treatment:
I think this is something that’s up to you. I would probably do it twice a week at most. But since I go like 4-5 days between washing my hair, that’s how often I’ll do my treatment.
HOWEVER, please please please watch for any adverse side effects. I haven’t had any yet, but if your scalp starts tingling or burning, itching, or if your scalp starts to hurt, please wash it out right away. Again, I have a sensitive scalp and haven’t experienced any of these, but I want to make sure you’re mindful of any possibilities.
Let me know if you try this and if it works for you!