I shared this dish on my Instagram stories last night and had a ton of messages asking me to share the recipe. I won’t bore you with a big long backstory on how my grandmother’s aunt’s uncle’s nephew walked the Thailand countryside to find the best Jasmine rice in the world. Let’s just get straight to the point. Here’s a super easy, gluten free and dairy free crock pot meal idea. It’s cheap, it’s delicious, and my kids loved it.
Slow Cooker Chicken + Rice Bowl
- Chicken breasts (although all I had was frozen chicken tenders, I used 6)
- Chicken Stock – enough to cover your chicken, plus 1 cup.
- 1 large sweet potato / yam, chopped.
- 1 can black beans
- 1.5 cups corn
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tsp chili powder
Add a can of tomatoes (I’m going to try this next time).
Try Avocado / guacamole, shredded cheese, salsa, cilantro, sour cream / plain greek yogurt, tortilla chips for topping.
- Put chicken in crockpot and pour in enough chicken stock to just cover the chicken. Add chili powder and set cook time to 4 hours.
- Remove lid and add 1 can of beans, 1.5 cups of corn, chopped sweet potato and 1 cup rice. Pour 1 cup of chicken stock in, and replace lid.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours. Check the rice at 2 hours – if it’s cooked to your level of preference, you’re good to go. If your mix looks dry, add a little more chicken stock.
- When rice is tender, it’s done! Serve as is or with optional toppings.
We were out of salsa, so I just topped mine with sliced avocado and it was SO GOOD. The boys each finished their bowls, which is basically unheard of for J these days.
Next time I want to throw some kale and a can of diced tomatoes in for a little more color!