This post is brought to you in partnership with Rite Aid, Aveeno & OGX.
Happy crisp mornings to you! This is my favorite time of year. The air is fresh, the food is hearty, and the holidays are full of family. The only thing I don’t love about this time of year? How drying it is to my hair and skin!
But never fear, thanks to a few years in Idaho’s insanely dry winters, I’ve gotten a few tips and tricks to share with y’all to combat the havoc that winter can wreak.
The best part? I’ve been asked so much about budget friendly options that I headed to my local Rite Aid to find the best drugstore products! So everything is easy on your skin, hair, and wallet! Plus, spend $20 and get $6 Bonus Cash on Aveeno (excl. Facial Moisturizers) and OGX all month long.
My best winter body and skincare tips:
1. Consider a gentle exfoliator for everyday:
As soon as the season starts to change, this is one of the first things I do in my routine. I am obsessed with the AVEENO® Positively Radiant® line! It’s really affordable, yet effective. My current favorite from the line is the Skin Brightening Daily Scrub.
This AVEENO® Positively Radiant® Skin Brightening Daily Scrub is the perfect way to combat winter skin. It has gentle microbeads that exfoliate dry and dead skin. That means a few things. One, it’s going to help your pores, skin tone and texture. Because, if you’re not removing the dry skin, you’re not fixing the problem. My skin is noticeably brighter and clearer looking the more I use AVEENO® Positively Radiant® Skin Brightening Daily Scrub.
2. Moisturize daily!
I feel like this is a step that so easily gets forgotten about. Like, we all know we should brush our teeth and wash our face every morning and night. But even I was guilty of foregoing any type of skin care other than face wash and maybe an acne treatment or mask a few times a week. A daytime moisturizer is KEY for keeping your skin healthy. Year round, yes, but even more important once winter hits and the air gets dryer.
AVEENO® has a ton of options available at Rite Aid! Again, my favorite line is their Positively Radiant®. They have a Daily Moisturizer with SPF that is clutch for my winter routine. After washing my face, I apply a pea size amount – pressing it into my skin, rather than swiping. AVEENO® Positively Radiant® is oil-free and clinically proven to even tone and texture. And it has performed just as well as my moisturizers that are three times as much!
3. Utilize a night cream.
If you ignore every other rule, don’t ignore this one. Did you know that your night time skincare is crucial? While you sleep, the products you apply to your skin are absorbed at a higher rate and rendered more effective. Literally the first week I started using one of AVEENO’s night creams I noticed a huge difference.
They have several incredibly effective yet budget friendly night creams! Between your daily gentle exfoliation and the boost of hydration and vitamin B3 at night, winter harshness doesn’t stand a chance.
4. Use a silk pillowcase!
Game. Changer. You’ve probably heard about the benefits of silk pillowcases. But you’ve also probably seen the price tags that go along with them. I’m here to tell you two things: 1. Yeah, they’re that awesome. And 2. You can get high quality silk pillowcases for under $30! My favorite is actually a $22 one.
I have 3 and here’s why: I change my pillowcase every 2 – 3 days. This is based on how long it’s been since I washed my hair and my wash routine. That way, I can always have one on my bed, one in the wash, and one ready in the linen closet.
Since starting to use a silk pillowcase at the beginning of July, I have noticed several things: my face isn’t breaking out as much. My hair is WAY less frizzy and tangled. I can go further in between washing my hair! And finally, when I curl my hair, the curl lasts WAY longer.
5. Step up your moisturizer game.
AVEENO® Stress Relief Lotion Moisturizing
Every night before bed, I slather myself in AVEENO’s Stress Relief moisturizing lotion. It smells like lavender and heaven and just makes me happy. I actually think I started using this back in High School (sooooooo forever ago), and just never stopped. Because I am getting waxed regularly now, I’ve noticed I really need to be diligent about moisturizing. It keeps the dry skin away, and even my wax lady commented on how soft my legs were!
BUT, when winter hits, I like to switch things up. Last year I discovered AVEENO’s Active Naturals Moisture Repair Cream and it was love at first swipe. Funnily enough, it was actually recommended to me in a mom group. You know how sometimes when the seasons change and your feet get weird and gross and dry and start peeling? Yeah… me either…
AVEENO® Skin Relief Lotion Moisture Repair Cream Fragrance Free
“A friend” was having this issue and several local moms recommended slathering your feet in this ultra luxurious lotion. First off, it’s available at a drug store. Secondly, its at a drugstore price. Thirdly, hello hydration. This Moisture Repair Cream was like a giant water balloon to my feet (I mean, my friend’s feet…) and body.
When it feels like my skin is extra dry, I slather on a rich layer of the Repair Cream and throw on some warm socks straight from the dryer. By the next morning, I have ridiculously happy, smooth, hydrated toes. And that makes me extra happy.
6. Combat dry hair with argan oil.
If you’ve been following for a while, you know my hair has gone through some stuff. I went from my natural brown, to almost black, to lighter, to red highlights, to orange, back to natural-ish brown, and now blonde! Thanks to how much of my regrowth is gray, going blonde has made the transition easier.
However, it has done a number on my tresses. Bleach and highlighting are not easy on your hair. And come wintertime, when the air is already extra dry and you’re combating bleach frizz? Yikes. OGX has an amazing, and affordable haircare line that I’ve been using and love.
OGX Argan of Morocco Extra Shampoo & Conditioner
The OGX Argan of Morocco Extra Shampoo & Conditioner is like a giant glass of water for your hair. It makes my hair SO soft and manageable, it’s crazy. And for under $8? When I normally pay almost $40 for my salon brand, but they do the same thing for my hair? Yeah, no question there. Deeply hydrating and strengthening, OGX Argan of Morocco Extra Shampoo & Conditioner are also sulfate and cruelty free.
OGX Argan of Morocco Extra Penetrating Oil
Just like the AVEENO Moisture Repair Cream, this OGX Argan of Morocco Extra Penetrating Oil is a spa day for your hair. Here’s how I use it:
- After getting out of the shower, I twist my hair into a towel on my head for just a few minutes. Less than 5 minutes, because typically towels remove too much moisture from your hair, leaving it frizzy and dry.
- After a few moments, I take the towel out and put a dime size of the Argan Oil in my hands. I rub my hands together, flip my head down and over, and comb the oil through, from tip to root. I make sure to really work the oil in, especially on my ends, but avoiding my roots. Avoiding my roots helps me stretch longer in between washing my hair!
- Then I take a 100% cotton tee, and wrap my hair. This, I leave on the entire time I’m getting dressed and ready for the day.
7. Always use a heat protectant spray!
Real talk, I had never heard of a heat protectant spray before my current hair dresser. When I started going to her early 2018, her jaw dropped when I asked what that was! She said, especially since had some bleach damage, my hair was course and the fact that I was now blonde, I was doing a major disservice to myself and my hair by not using one. She also had me quit my straightener! So now, I either air dry or use a curling iron.
The OGX Silk Blowout Quick Drying Thermal Spray has been one of my favorite drugstore finds! And under $10! My previous thermal spray was FOUR TIMES that amount. Ugh. I’m guessing its the silk proteins in the OGX Silk Blowout Quick Drying Thermal Spray, but whatever it is, it’s magic.
And on those rare days I do blow-dry my hair? OGX’s thermal spray cuts me down from 25+ minutes to under 15. Which is a feat in and of itself. No matter what the heat source, my hair feels soft and shiny afterwards. SO much happier than before I discovered the magic of heat protectant! Rissa is so proud.
8. Wash your hair less!
- I go about 4 days in between washing during summer, but during winter I stretch that to 5+ days. The more you let your natural oils do their thing, the happier your hair will be. A few tips to help you go longer between washing:
- Shampoo your roots REALLY well. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but this is what I do: I part my hair down the middle and wash from the middle of my forehead down to my neck in that part, going outwards first. Then, I slick all my hair back, and focus the shampoo on just the hair around my hairline, working my way in. Since starting to wash the center of my part like this, I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in how many days I can go between washing.
- I also apply my conditioner from my ends, up. After working the conditioner in, avoiding my roots, I twirl it up into a loose bun on top of my head. I let the conditioner soak in while I wash my face, etc. It probably averages 5 – 10 minutes. More if my hair is feeling dry, less if I’ve just done a deep conditioning treatment.
- Brush your hair, daily. By doing this, you’ll help move the oils from your scalp, and naturally distribute them to the rest of your hair.
- Avoid dry shampoo for as long as you can! The more product you use, the more buildup you’ll have. And the more buildup, the more often you’ll have to wash.
Between a quality cleansing system, like the OGX Argan of Morocco Extra Shampoo & Conditioner, a great wash routine, and an Argan oil treatment, your hair will be happier than ever this winter. And once you add the silk pillowcase, you’ll never go back.
Take care of your skin and hair this winter, affordably, at your local neighborhood Rite Aid!