Sponsored by Zappos
Okay you guys, we need to talk about a serious problem. A lack of romance in your relationships after kids. I posted on my Instagram yesterday asking about dating your partner and was SO sad to read all the “we don’t” answers.
Dating your spouse: why date nights are so important.
Marriage after kids is HARD. Z and I have been working really REALLY hard on dating each other more. I think it’s so easy after kids to just… not. After having H, our first, we didn’t go on a date for almost FIFTEEN months. Over a year. That’s a long time to not have one on one time with your spouse. After adding J to the family, we’ve had to be much more intentional with finding the time and ability to make it happen.
That means date nights aren’t always that. Sometimes it’s sneaking away during lunch when Grammy is visiting. Or calling in a huge favor from family for an overnight getaway. And honestly, sometimes it’s even just putting the kids to bed early, putting the phone down and curling up together at home.
What matters most is getting in quality time with the person you chose to go through life with. Even if it’s silly and you’re only gone for an hour together.
Trust me, I know how hard it is to connect with your partner after baby. And I’ll be honest, as intentional as we are, it’s not always easy. But so worth it. Those nights, those day and afternoons, that’s when I feel the spark rekindle. Not running around after our two dudes, or feeling distracted with work.
Remember – you and your partner chose each other first. And just because you want to, need to, and heck even ENJOY getting away from your kids, you are still a great parent. In fact, I actually think getting away for a few hours with my husband makes me a better mom. And I’m showing our boys what a healthy relationship looks like. So it’s really a win-win.
Getting ready for date night with Clarks + Zappos
I’m not going to lie to you, one of my favorite things about going on dates with my husband is getting ready. Don’t get me wrong, I try to get dressed every day. But you know that Stay At Home Mom life. Sometimes I don’t get a chance to change out of PJs until after noon. And I usually have someone’s lunch on me soon after. So even though I’m mostly “put together”, I still feel more “mom” than me. Now that Z is working from home, he feels the same struggle.
We don’t have a lot of time. And the time we do have I don’t want to be runnig around from store to store trying to find *just* what I’m looking for. That’s where Zappos comes in.
Because I’m a Zappos Rewards member, I get FREE expedited shipping and earn rewards points on every order I make. And when I say expedited, I mean it. I’m talking ONE DAY y’all. As always Zappos has free shipping and free returns on all your orders. That means no worries about trying to pack up the kids and head to the mall to return or exchange for the right size.
Clarks Pure Tone Black Combination Flat
That’s just another reason why it’s so important to sneak away! Last week, w each picked up some new Clarks shoes at Zappos for a day date. I found the Clarks Pure Tone for women and am obsessed. Being an inch shy of six feet, flats are always my go to. And I LOVE the combination of textures with this black pair. The Pure Tone Clarks are perfect for strolling around town with my husband,and I love how versatile they are. Thanks to the Cushion Plus™ technology with triple-density OrthoLite® footbed, not only are they beautiful, but also comfortable enough to handle running around after the kids.
Clarks Clarkdale Flow Olive Suede Loafer
Z chose the Clarks Clarkdale Flow in a gorgeous olive suede for our date. While he does WFH most of the time, he’s also gone a lot for meetings and conferences and is on his feet all day while there. The vintage style of these fantastic Clarkdale Flow loafers from Clarks is dressy enough for his business needs, but not stuffy. He loves being able to slip them on and go! This Olive Suede color is perfectly versatile and helps elevate a regular pair of jeans and button down to the perfect date night outfit.
Find your perfect pair of Clarks at Zappos!
Fun + Easy Date Ideas
Now that it’s finally Spring and we don’t have to be bundled in parkas and gloves, it’s time to take advantage of the beautiful weather. Our new Clarks shoes from Zappos have the perfect amount of support, no matter how much walking / skipping / dancing we do. As I mentioned earlier, I asked yall for some of your favorite date ideas and you definitely delivered. There were date night ideas for those of us who prefer to stay at home. Date night ideas for those of us who only have a short amount of time. Some date night ideas for those of us on a budget. And date night ideas for when you want to go all out!
A HUGE thank you to the ever wonderful Life With Sydney & Co for the photography. I highly recommend checking Boise, Idaho based photographer, Toni, out and following her on Instagram @lifewithsydneyandco!
Because I got so many amazing suggestions, I’m going to turn this into a series!
Some of my favorite Day Date ideas:
- Go to a local coffee shop and order drinks for one another. Something in the baked goods section look extra delicious? Grab two and share!
- Go find a smoothie shop and pick up some refreshing smoothies or açaí bowls.
- Walk around a local shopping center. We have a few here that have a ton of restaurants, a fountain and shops so we can get lost walking around for hours!
- Go on a hike. Pick a new place to explore each time, and make sure to bring snacks and maybe even a few libations 😉
- Go for a picnic! This would be a great addition to a hike.
- Go for a matinee at your theatre. One of our local theaters has a special deal on Tuesday afternoons where all movies are only $1, and you can add on a drink and popcorn for only a dollar more.
- Head to your local book store and enjoy walking around, sans kids. See if you can find any new non-parenting related books that you might enjoy.
- Go for a drive! It may sound silly, but some of my fondest memories with my husband before kids is when we would just get in the car and drive around. Make a special playlist, hold hands and drive with the windows down.
- Go on a bike ride!
- Grab some roller skates and see who is better!
- Head to a park with one of your favorite board games. Connect 4 is one of our favorites and we can literally play for hours!
- Throw out the diet and go grab some Ice Cream. Even better if you can find a fun spot to people watch while you eat.
- Check your local sports team‘s schedule, and see if they have any afternoon games coming up. Usually these are cheaper and a lot of fun!
- Try a new restaurant! One thing we like to do is to take a lunch date and order 2 or 3 appetizers to share. Lunch menus are usually cheaper and it gives us a good opportunity to try something new.
- Tour your local botanical garden. We have one here in Boise that is BEAUTIFUL once the weather warms up and it always gives us some great ideas for plants to bring into our own yard.
- Go yard sale hopping! This is something else Z and I did all the time before kids, and now its not as easy. Enjoy walking around trying to find treasures without having to keep an eye on the kids.
- Explore your local thrift stores. We’ve found some of the best hole in the wall resale shops while out on a whim!
- Watch airplanes. Theres a great spot where you can lay down on a field near the airport – it feels like the airplanes are flying RIGHT over you. We love laying down, talking about life and holding hands while we guess where people are going / coming from.
- Try a new brewery and sample one of their beer flights together! Pick your favorite ones and see if you chose the same!
- Go bowling! Z and I have done this for a few day dates and its always SO fun. We end up giggling and goofing off the entire time and come home feeling like teenagers.
- Get a couples massage! You guys are working really hard as parents, you deserve some pampering. And lord knows my husband won’t join me for a pedicure 😉 Sites like Groupon always have great discounts!