Persil ProClean provided me with compensation in exchange for this sponsored post. However, all opinions expressed here are my own.
How to Spring Clean Your Closet
I don’t know about you, but after this insanely long winter, I am itching for everything Spring – the weather, the flowers, the fashion. I want it all. A little sunshine goes a long way. Especially in helping this very tired mama feel like I can tackle just about anything – including Spring cleaning!
BUT what if you’re feeling super overwhelmed? And don’t know where to start? Your first step should always be to make a list of the biggest things you want to get done. Is it clearing out the garage so you can get to those long forsaken bicycles? Or getting your lawn ready for cookouts and neighborhood parties?
For us – we’re starting in our closets! As soon as Spring officially hits, gone are the dark colors and extra chunky sweaters. Instead, bright colors and breezy pieces start taking over. I cant tell you how cathartic it is to fold up and pack away my Fall and Winter wardrobe and give my Spring and Summer clothing a chance to breathe again.
Hold up, though.
These clothes have been siting in boxes for over a year thanks to pregnancy and a move. They smell stale and just look sad. So, first things first – everything gets a good wash in Persil ProClean’s new Pro10 formula.
Little tip: there’s actually a Fresh Linen formula that is heavenly and is perfectly scented for Spring cleaning. We also use the Sensitive Skin formula for both our toddler and baby’s clothing and bedding, and love that its gentle enough for their young and easily irritated skin. You’re welcome in advance.
Why Persil ProClean?
Persil® ProClean® is like the Mary Poppins of detergents. Not only is it affordable and available at your local Walmart, but it also packs a powerful punch when it comes to laundry. And trust me, I’m a detergent snob. I have very high standards and know what I want: a powerful cleanser that can handle all the messes a dog and two kids throw at it.
With their Pro10 Technology, Persil ProClean checks off all those boxes, and more. Combining stain fighting, whitening, brightening, anti-graying, clean rinsing, long-lasting freshness, odor fighting, fiber care, clean fresh scent and cold water cleaning, “10 Dimensions of Clean” is a staple in our home.
Head over to their website to grab a $2 off Persil ProClean coupon here!
After everything gets washed with Persil ProClean, I do something crazy. I take every piece of clothing out of my closet and out of my chest of drawers, and I lay them out. We do the same for my husband’s clothing, as well as each of the kid’s clothes.
No one and no thing is safe from Spring cleaning in our home!
From this one huge pile of clothing, a magical thing is about to happen. To begin, you need to get yourself in the right mindset. Because you’re about to do some major cleaning out and make some major piles.
Step 1 to Spring Cleaning Your Closet:
Start by picking up each piece. That’s right. Each and every single piece of clothing. Every tee, tank, pair of shorts, pants, etc. And you’re going to place those pieces into piles depending on the very first thing that pops into your head:
Pile 1: This is a favorite. I love this! I look good in it, I feel good in it, and IT FITS.
Pile 2: This is practical. I wear this quite often and like it.
Pile 3: I want to keep this, BUT…
I don’t know why
It doesn’t fit right now
Pile 4: This does not fit, and most likely wont fit again. This does not fit my style anymore. This does not fit my current season of life, and wont for a while. I don’t like this.
Pile 5: This has seen better days. This is stained. This is trash.
- Hang up Piles 1 and 2 in your closet, with the hanger facing backwards. This is easily my favorite trick in the book. Each time you wear something, wash it (with Persil ProClean, obviously), and put it back in your closet, flip the hanger around so it’s now hanging “regularly”. This is an easy way to see what you are actually wearing, and what you aren’t.
- Go back through Pile 3 and box up what you *think* you * need* to keep. I do a separate box for sentimental keeps than I do for items that are currently too small on my 6 month postpartum body, etc. Keep these boxes easily accessible, like in the back of your closet, so you can go back in a month and decide if you really miss them or not.
- Notice they’re gone? Add them back into your rotation, but make sure to flip the hangers backwards.
- Don’t miss them? Take the box to your local donation center, and celebrate the tax write off.
- Immediately box or bag up Pile 4, and place it in your car to donate. By doing this, you’re lessening the likelihood of remorse from purging, and it will create a sense of urgency for you to deliver the items quickly.
- Take Pile 5 and throw it in the garbage.
Be ruthless. Be honest.
Personally, after having two babies and being a breast feeding work from home mom, there are SO MANY pieces I used to wear that no longer fit my body. Pieces I spent good money on. And have bargained with myself to keep. But as I look around at the excess and take into account what life looks like right now, I’ve learned the 5 minutes of sadness that comes along with donating a favorite dress that used to fit just right and now barely makes it over my shoulders is worth the freedom of not having to see it sit in my closet, unworn, every day for years.
And the cleaning doesn’t stop there. Up next? The linen closet! Every sheet, bed spread, pillowcase, seat cushion cover, etc than can be removed and washed gets the Spring Cleaning treatment thanks to Persil ProClean. Because nothing says Spring like freshly cleaned laundry and an organized home.
What’s first on YOUR Spring cleaning checklist?