Family time, unplugged & a popcorn cupcake tutorial
In today’s digital age, one of the only ways we’re able to stay connected through it all is by our cell phones. Whether it’s phone calls, text / picture messaging, or video chatting, we rely on quality phone service and a reliable cell phone in order to keep in touch.
Every other TV commercial today is cell phone companies claiming to have the most reliable coverage for the best price, but if you dig a little deeper, you’ll see that’s just not true. Recently, when our family was looking to change providers, we could not find any family plan that was less than $200 for unlimited data, text and phone – tell me again how these companies are “affordable”? With a single budget household, we weren’t willing to compromise our budget for service that wasn’t even guaranteed in the areas we live in and visit most.
The plan we chose was a no-brainer. Walmart’s Family Mobile’s PLUS plan comes with Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data which includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE plus a free new release movie rental on VUDU every month ($7 value) on each line for only $49.88 (plus, each additional line is $5 off!)! That’s half the price I was paying previously!
With the unlimited talk, text and data, our entire family can keep up to date with each other in a really affordable way. As I mentioned earlier, we are a pretty busy trio as it is, and I only anticipate life getting a little more chaotic when #4 joins us later this year. My husband works long hours, and when he comes home at the end of the day, we only have a few hours together to be able to cook and eat dinner, and then it’s time to put H to bed. Because of this, we don’t get to spend much time together during the week, so we’ve started putting one night a week aside – just for us.
- 1 box of Cupcake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of oil (or unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 tube of frosting
- A bag of mini marshmallows
- Cupcake liners (red and white striped ones keep true to the popcorn feel, but feel free to get a little creative if your store doesn’t have them, and make little DIY stands like we did!)
- Mix and bake cupcakes according to package directions, and let cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, start making marshmallow “popcorn” (it’s easy, I promise!) Taking your scissors, make 3 to 4 snips in the top half of each marshmallow, so they look like freshly popped kernels.
- Once cooled, apply a generous amount of frosting on each cupcake, and press in your marshmallow popcorn. You can work from the perimeter to the center, or start on one side and work to the other, and I actually do a few of each to keep them looking more unique.
- If you really want to get authentic, you can take a little kitchen torch and toast the top of the marshmallow popcorn, or you can also use an edible yellow paint on top to give your popcorn a buttered look.
- Cuddle up on the couch with your favorite VUDU rental thanks to Walmart’s Family Mobile PLUS plan, and enjoy your popcorn cupcakes with your friends and family!
These nights we spend together are unplugged, meaning no Facebook, Instagram, Emails or anything. With the extra data and 4G LTE coverage that the PLUS plan gives us, I am able to constantly be connected so I can get more done during the day, and I can stay more organized with my work, household and mom duties. That way, when the Hubs gets home at the end of the day, I can fully unplug and focus on being with the people I love, rather than stressing over if my ‘to do’ list is done!
The extra data also comes in handy while we’re traveling, as I can keep H more entertained with watching his favorite shows and movies, playing games, or using his toddler-friendly educational apps.
It may only be one night a week, but it has really become a time that we all look forward to, especially after a long week. As our days of a family of three will soon be coming to a close, quality time with our current only child has really become more and more important. From shopping together for the snacks, choosing a new release movie to rent, and making a sweet treat to enjoy together and getting all snuggled up on the couch – it’s all about being present with my family.