As every mom knows, the smallest of people can make the biggest of messes. Zach and I used to be able to go a week or more in between loads of laundry, and all of a sudden I'm doing it at least 3 times a week - it's crazy! Between spit ups and food messes, little H creates laundry that could rival a high school football teams, meaning my washer / dryer and I have become BFFs.
Here are a few tips and tricks I've learned in the past year to help make laundry easier:
- Want your towels to last longer? Skip the dryer sheets! Your towels will last longer and be more absorbent.
- Use a dryer balls (or tennis balls!) instead! You'll save money by not buying dryer sheets, create less waste and your sheets and towels will still be super fluffy and soft!
- Don't want to spend the money on a dryer ball or have tennis balls laying around in your coat closet? DIY one with aluminum foil (directions here)!
- Wash your dark clothes inside out! It will keep their color from fading.
- Wash in cold water when you can, it'll save you money and help retain color. By using cold water, you can also mix your lights and darks without having to worry about color bleeding.
- Make sure you check before you set your machine that your detergent will, in fact, work in cold!
- Want to know how to remove that pesky makeup / formula / grease stain? The University of Illinois created an extensive list of solutions for any stain you can think of!
- Use the "quick wash" setting on your washer! While this isn't for heavier-duty dirt, it's perfect for everyday wear and will cut your washing time in half and you'll save on your water bill!
- Use vinegar in your wash to get rid of that musty smell. It'll also help make your whites, whiter and towels fluffier!
- Use a mesh laundry bag, like this one from InsideSmarts! You not only save time by washing your delicates in a bag, but they're also great for keeping socks together!
laundry bags, I can prevent that wear so his clothes look nicer for longer!
Do you have any tips or tricks you swear by for your laundry routine? I'd love to hear them!
This post may contain affiliate links. I received one or more of the above mentioned products complimentary for testing purposes. However, I only recommend products I personally love and use to my readers.