Walmart has an awesome registry tool that steps in and makes creating a list for your upcoming bundle of joy so easy!
Not only are Walmart's prices super competitive, but the first page that pulls up after creating your registry is a checklist with links to each item - yay for stress free organizing! The first thing I wanted to add to my registry, which you can check out here, were Pampers® diapers and wipes! I knew Zach and I were going to start cloth diapering, but I didn't want to deal with the yucky meconium tar poops that come along with having a newborn, so I made sure to addPampers Swaddlers Super Pack and Pampers® Sensitive Wipes, just in case our little one had super sensitives skin like his dad.
There are so many things I returned within weeks of having H that I wish I hadn't registered for, including:
- A wipes warmer. Nope. It just dried the wipes out super fast, and H's room never got chilly enough so it was completely unnecessary.
- A vibrating chair / swing. H may be in the minority here, but he hated being in the swing, and much preferred to be worn in a carrier or snuggled by myself 24/7. Back it went.
- Baby shoes. Yes, they are adorable, but they are totally impractical and silly.
A few things I was so glad I registered for, and at times I wish I had more of:
- BURP RAGS. Because even though everything you own will become one anyways, it's nice to have distinct rags that are just used for cleaning up all the inevitable spit ups.
- Sophie the Giraffe. A weird, expensive, dog toy for babies, but for some reason all babies love it and it has saved me from a melt down more times than I should probably admit. It's super easy for babies to grab onto and has non-toxic paint so it's safe for your bundle of joy to gnaw on.
- My Britax carseat. A great, safe, easy to use carseat is so important for you and your baby. Please do not underestimate the importance of a well-tested and acclaimed brand and model. The B-Agile travel system by Britax is highly rated for customer satisfaction as well as safety and the stroller is easy to collapse and set up and the bucket seat is comfortable for long 12+ hour car trips, even for 2 month olds (H tested and approved!).
Walmart's registry services is their "New Mom Stories and Tips" section! You can head over and check out Pampers Baby Basics for Any Mom on Walmart.com’s Parent & Baby Center, which includes: a baby shower planning checklist, 7 newborn care tips, how to best photograph your baby and new moms' medicine-cabinent must haves. Because when it's 2:30 in the morning and you're up nursing or feeding your newborn, learning that singing to your baby is great for healthy baby development is pretty awesome.
The best piece of advice a mommy friend gave me was to just "trust [my] instincts". There are always going to be people telling you what you "should" be doing and what's "best" for your baby, but you have to remember that not every baby is the same and what works for someone else may not work for you! For example, I'm still nursing and rocking H to sleep, because it works for us. I get a lot of flack for "coddling" him and "spoiling" him in this way, but I love the bonding time it gives us, and with how fast this first year has gone by I don't regret all the time spent together in this way at all! So remember to breathe, take care of yourself as well as you take care of your child, and to ask for help when you need it, and soak in every minute with your new bundle! Because pretty soon you're tearing up at Costco while buying fruit platters for his first birthday party...
*Based on hospital sales data. This post is brought to you by Walmart. All opinions are 100% mine.